Basic Questions for ERP Vendors
TechMatchPro’s ERP Buyer’s Guide lists a series of questions companies should ask and answer before beginning the search for an ERP vendor. These include:
- What type of database platform will the ERP software be on?
- How many users will be on the system?
- What type of business do you conduct?
- What is the budget?
These questions open the door to the vendor evaluation criteria that any manufacturing company would use to conduct due diligence on as significant a purchase as an ERP system. Standard questions about the vendors and their product should include:
- How many years has the company been in business?
- How long has the ERP software been on the market?
- Have they proven functionality in this specific area of business?
- How stable is the company? What is their reputation? How is their ability to service and support the software?
- Does the vendor have a roadmap for the future of the product?
These basics need to be addressed at the outset of an ERP project. Only after they are examined should you engage in an exhaustive requirements analysis for your ERP system.
A final analysis will require a proper system selection methodology that should include a number of key principles, such as establishing a structured approach to the process, in which a defined set of practices is presented to all stakeholders within the enterprise before the system selection process begins; insisting on focused demonstrations from vendors to ensure that sufficient evidence is provided for proper decision making and that preparation for demonstrations on the part of potential vendors is reasonable; developing objective criteria for scoring and ranking potential vendors; and ensuring that all stakeholders have a say in the decision. Because of the scope of the project, top management must be involved, as should representatives from all departments the system will impact.
With this in mind, we welcome your detailed questions about Epicor. Let us know what you need to know in the comments section.
Posted by the Epicor Social Media Team